A team of two competitors from each university that qualified in the Sales Management Simulation pre-event are invited to ICSC to compete in the Sales Management Case Competition.
The case competition is the only one of its kind, focusing specifically on issues related to managing a professional sales force. See this year’s case document for a description of the case and the featured company.
Please keep in mind that the company is a real company but the issues to be addressed in the case have been created solely for the case competition.
The ICSC 2020 company for the sales management case is PayCom.
While the actual case won’t be handed out until the competition, it might be helpful to know that past years’ cases have focused on some of the following issues:
- Territory alignment
- Opening new territories
- Compensation issues
- Merging of sales organizations when two companies merge
- Introduction of a new product
To get an idea of what a typical ICSC case competition case looks like, click on the link below for the 2018 or 2019 cases which involved Cardinal Health and Citrix
The competition consists of two rounds:
- There are two parts to Round 1, 1A and 1B. Round 1 is the initial presentation of a solution to the case and is set for 30 minutes; up to 20 minutes of presentation with 10 minutes for Q & A from the executive judges. Both Round 1A and Round 1B uses 3 Zoom rooms with 5 teams in two of the rooms and 6 in the 3rd room presenting in sequence. For each round, check into your Zoom meeting room no later than 5 minutes before your scheduled start time. The top team from each room moves on to Round 2 (a total of 6 teams).
- Round 2 (Finals): Round 2 is meant to be a bit of a surprise round. The top six teams from Round 1 presentations will be presented with an updated case scenario that assumes that the team’s original recommendations are under consideration by this year’s company management team but there has been a new development that they must account for. In Round 2, each team will provide an update to the executive team in the form of a 20-minute presentation (15 minutes for presentation and 5 for Q & A). Top team wins.
Presentations: In Round 1 the deliverable from each team is a presentation to a group of executives (one of which will be an actual Company Executive). This presentation is to be made by the team and one or both case competitors can make the presentation. It is up to the team to decide how best to make the presentation. There are no guidelines for the presentation format in terms of specific presentation material, number of slides, what areas should be covered in the presentation, etc. All presentations will be due to Leff Bonney at the same time so that no team gets extra time to work on their presentation while another team is presenting. The presentation deadline is 9 PM on Thursday (EASTERN STANDARD TIME), November 12 via email to Leff Bonney at email@example.com.
There is a mandatory competitor meeting via Zoom at 6 PM on Wednesday, November 11. The rules for the competition will be reviewed and we will draw for the order of the presentations. The case will be available immediately following the meeting both via email to all competitors and a link on the ICSC web site.
Coaching: There is to be no coaching on the part of the faculty after the case has been handed out. We will use the honor system for this rule and ask each competitor to sign a pledge stating they will seek no outside help in preparing for their presentation. However, teams can use whatever materials they would like in preparing for the case. Any points of clarification should be discussed directly with Leff Bonney who will always have a cell phone with him and teams can call with questions.
-Wednesday 6 PM, Mandatory competitors meeting via Zoom. The case released at the conclusion of the meeting.
– Thursday 9 PM – PowerPoint presentations are due via email to Leff Bonney. ALL COMPETITORS MUST TURN THE PRESENTATION IN AT THIS TIME, REGARDLESS OF YOUR ACTUAL PRESENTATION TIME!!!
– Friday @ 7:50 am, Round 1A first teams sign on to their assigned Zoom meeting.
– Friday @ 12:50pm, Round 1B first teams sign on to their assigned Zoom meeting.
– Friday@ 6:00pm, Email sent to all competitors announcing the finalists and information for round 4 emailed to finalist teams.
-Saturday @ 7:30am, Final 6 teams email presentations for Finals and view live drawing for presentation order…Final Round will begin at 8:00am.
-Overall winners announced Saturday at Awards Ceremony
Points earned towards the Collegiate World Cup of Sales for each team is as follows:
|Individual Position From Each room||Points per Team||Go to Case Round 2|
|Round 2 (Final)|
|Individual Position||Points per Team|